Total Pageviews

Friday, January 06, 2012

How to solve " Target Filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init" on Ubuntu 10.04


I restarted my Ubuntu 10.04 box today and it wouldn't start. It gave me this error:

 mount: mounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/***************************** on /root  
 failed: Invalid argument  
 mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory  
 mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory  
 mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory  
 mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory  
 Target file system doesn't have /sbin/init  
 No init found. Try passing init= bootarg  

So after googling around I found out that this seems to be a common problem ;-)
I have a JMicron RAID controller in my box using a RAID mirror but that doesn't help very much :-( It's a logical error and therefore replicated on the other disk as well.

I found this forum entry which helped me a lot and applied the fix using the following steps:
  1. Install GParted on an USB Stick using Tuxboot (my Linux box does not have a DVD drive)
  2. Boot GParted and wait until the graphical partition editor comes up
  3. Identify the boot partition (mounted on /). My boot partition is named "/dev/mapper/jmicron_GRAID1"
  4. Open a terminal and type in the following command
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/mapper/jmicron_GRAID1
  5. When e2fsck finishes it usually must have been corrected some errors. So it's best to take a look into the summary.
  6. Reboot your system
After I applied these steps my system booted up without errors again.
Now I need to identify the source of the problem ...

No comments:

Post a Comment